Sunday, August 4, 2013

my Mama's birthday

Yesterday my mom and baby brother, who is almost 18, came over for the day. My mom turned 46 yesterday! (Which means I will be 26 very soon!) I think we had a great day! I fixed a strawberry pie with an oat crust so we could have a treat (I was out of gf cake mix). Gf baking is still a bit of a challenge for me, I was always a great baker but gf presented challenges for me. I found a decent recipe, but lost track of how much oat flour I had put in...which resulted in a wet mess, so I added almond meal and more flour until it was pasty but not soaking wet.
This is the recipe I was trying to follow...
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups Oat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1 1/4 cup shortening
1 egg (whisked )
water (add to egg to make 1/2 cup)
1/2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar

Remember, I used non hydrogenated palm oil, butter or lard would have probably made it easier and less messy...I also milled my own oat flour and lost track,  so ended up tossing almonds meal in.
No matter my mess ups, it turned out really good! It was crumbly, not flaky, but the flavor was great!

I made homemade baked beans,  which were not nearly as good as they were before, but were ok...we will be adding hamburger to them and making a casserole tonight. We also grilled corn on the cob and had pulled pork sandwhiches!

We gifted my mom a chocolate mint plant in a painted pot, with some dried leaves for tea, I hope she likes it!

The kids enjoyed having their Nana and uncle RayRay here all day, we played with the chickens, checked out the garden, and just talked and hung out all day, it was a great day! My step-dad showed up after we had already eaten,  and learned we do not use a microwave...so he got to eat his food cold, LOL! I got to explain why we do not use one...was interesting!
It got late, it got dark...and John decided (at 10pm) to start a bon fire. At first I thought he was crazy, then I looked up, the sky was beautiful!  It was so clear, so many stars! We saw shooting stars!! It really was such a great day/ night!

No comments:

Post a Comment