Tuesday, September 24, 2013

One busy mama!!

SO, a quick summary of foreword (??) of what we did yesterday and today:

-peeled over 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of pears-this took ALL DAY
-cooked down said pears only added cinnamon-no sugar!
-Stayed up late and made said pears into sauce-whew!
-dehydrated bananas
-baked some bread
-made apple butter
-prepared more apple butter to be made
-dehydrated apples
-made an apple pie
-did a fun craft with the kids! (find that info on homeschool page.)
All while doing HOMESCHOOLING (we do this 6 days a week), Mondays we do Gymnastics as well. Not to mention dealing with a teething, cranky, feverish 1 year old. It has been the MOST work I have done in a long time, and it feels completely and totally rewarding! (I know I left stuff out like washing diapers, cleaning, laundry-the stuff that HAS to get done-but this was just above and beyond all of that!) ~enjoy

Yesterday was a very long day! We managed to get the pears (over half of the 5 gallon pail) semi-peeled and in the pot. When I say "we" I do mean the girls helped a lot! I am very proud of my girls. I know it did not all go smoothly, there was a bit of frustration, but there always is when you are dealing with kids, knives, peelers and PEELS. Anyway, my kids really are pretty darn awesome. I could not have managed to get it done without their help!
 
 I was up VERY late making pear sauce. It was a lot of hard work, and very time consuming, but man did it taste good!
                        (this is what I used to make the sauce after it simmered all day long)
I am planning on purchasing an attachment for my mixer that does this for me, I am happy to have "tried" the old fashioned way, and I am very proud of myself for accomplishing it. This, however, was way more work than I can deal with at one time if I expect to get anything else done! Torrin had a fever (teeth) and LUCKILY, went to his dad-I do not know how this would've gotten done  otherwise! 

                 This is what I ended up with-the big jar is a 1/2 gallon, the smaller jar is a quart size.


                                           Last night, I also got the banana chips all dried!!

One dehydrator full makes about 2 quarts worth. I still need to put them in the vacuum sealer and *fingers crossed* they keep for awhile! (I am planning to do more, and am thinking granola with banana chips would be yummy!! Also, thinking on top of banana bread this would be delicious!!)

I made homemade BREAD!!It is a good breakfast bread, I am thinking of adding craisins the next time!  It was amazing, it is a gluten free oat bread, I got the recipe here. *NOTE* I completely forgot to add the rice flour in the recipe, and it turned out just fine...Not sure if needed or not, it tasted SOOO good with our fresh apple-butter.


I do not like how much the batter makes-it uses a 10" loaf pan...I do not have that so I used a standard (8"?) and 2 mini loaves.

Speaking of bread with apple butter-OMG YUM!!
                                                               this...turns into....

                     this...looks like a pot of poo...but OMG is it good!! I did not use ANY sugar!


So, this is how I made this amazing spread: (Thank you Janine for the recipe and info)

Apple butter:

ABOUT 6.5 lbs of apples-cored-sliced
                      -I am not sure what kind I used, they were a mix of tart and sweet
                      -I did not peel them all the way-only the bruises and bugs

1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
                      - I did not have these, so I put in 3 cloves and just took them out...

1/4 teaspoon salt

Put all that in the crock pot for I would say 8-10 hours, walk away and check on it later!

when it is all cooked down-add 1 tablespoon of real vanilla extract
                     -stir in and WALK AWAY

Come back 1-2 hours later and blend that awesomness up. I used my ninja the first time... P.I.T.A, I would use a immersion blender so there is less dishes to wash and it is just easier. 
                                                 
                                                                     TA DA!!
                                Add a cap and freeze or can. (I froze 3...we are eating the 4th!)

Right now (Tuesday almost 6pm) I have a 2nd batch going right now, hopefully Nathan remembers to bring home the immersion blender so I can mix it up before bed!

Oh, so I canned all that up (to be frozen) and then started slicing APPLES for the dehydrator. Those are going now, and hopefully will be done tonight before bed so I can start something else.
I made the 2nd batch of apple butter, and also made an apple pie for dinner!


                                             Hopefully it will taste as good as it smells!

Apple pie recipe

Crust
3/4 cup oat flour
ABOUT 1/4 cup almond meal
1 tbsp. tapioca starch
1/4 cup sugar(I used real organic sugar)
1 tsp xanthan gum
4 tbsp. shortening (palm oil)
1 egg
1 tbsp. REAL vanilla extract

Filling
 4-5 Apples, use judgment
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Topping
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats (gf)
1/4 cup oat flour
1/3 cup palm oil (shortening)
(cinnamon or nutmeg if wanted...I forgot this time-about 1/2 tsp)

Stir the flour, xanthan gum and starch. Add sugar and shortening, egg and vanilla. Mix it well and press into pie pan. I used a bit more tapioca starch to "press" it into the pan without it all sticking to my hands. Put in fridge while you make the filling and topping.

Make filling, put in crust (take crust out of fridge first...) and then add the topping. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 mins!


*updated 7:13p.m. We had the pie and it was amazing!!! Oh, and Nathan got the blender so I have more work to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment