Sunday, September 22, 2013

simplifying?

So, I am trying to simplify my life! Yesterday was Saturday-which means soccer game in the morning and shopping after. The game was ok, Zariah's team won, but that is not even what matters. I was upset that one kid in particular was allowed to play almost the entire game, and would throw a fit and whine when he was asked to come off the field so others could play. I was also upset by the fact that the girls were not allowed as much game time as the boys. NOT to mention the fact that one kid in particular was allowed to play AT ALL when he has not come to practice!

After the game, I went to the feed store-bought 2 boxes (60#s of chicken feed) and some shavings-got overcharged, so I have to go back Monday and pick up some more feed. I was charged $42 for 60lbs of feed, and the feed was supposed to be $24, I was preoccupied and did not pay attention to being rung up-but just handed them my card. It was an error that they are fixing for me, and I will try to be more present when paying for things in the future.

After getting chicken feed, I headed to the market in Hillsboro and spent a good chunk of money! I really like this market, they carry a lot of things I cannot get other places. The store owner did not have everything I needed, so I ended up HAVING to go to Burnstad's afterwards.

I bought 7 pounds of hamburger, 2 pounds of sausage, a pound of cinnamon, 7 pounds of gluten free oats, $17 worth of organic sweet potatoes (those added up a little too fast...) a bag of grapes for our snack in the truck, 2 dozen eggs, and lots of beans. I got 3 pound bags of black, navy (white), and pinto beans...I think that is it (makes me sad because I know I spent $110 there and it doesn't look like much when it is written out).
Hamburger $4.50/lb          aprx $31.50
Sausage $4??/lb                 aprx $8
cinnamon $4.50ish                    $4.50
gf oats (2.40/lb)                 aprx $17
s.potatoe                             aprx $17
grapes $2.99/lb...              maybe $9
eggs                                            $5
3 big bags of beans          about $21
Let me do my math and see if I am right on what I bought $113-I think this is pretty darn close for trying to remember what I bought and how much it all costs!! I know my total was $110 and some change. (I am so proud of myself for remembering all of this!)
                                           These are the half gallon jars FULL of my beans!!

I then headed to County market to get organic juice boxes for the girls. I felt bad because after the soccer game, the snack that was passed out what some kind of goldfish cracker and hug juices. I do not let my kids have artificial colors and we do not do dairy or wheat, so Zariah was not allowed either. Zariah held up the juice all excited, and I told her to give it back and that I would make it up to her. So, the grapes from the market and the organic juice pouches (with extra left over for future games) was how I made it up to her.
We then filled up the tank (or should I say put $60 in when I had 1/4 tank left...which only took me to 1/2 a tank...hey, it holds over 40 gallons-I cannot afford to fill the dang thing!)

Fast forward to Burnstad's, where we got (another) 40 pounder of bananas!
I bought 4 packages of gluten free tortilla shells (for pizza and burritos). I KNOW that they are not "needed" but we do need some quick meals for when we go places or need to cook in a hurry, and let's face it-my kids have not always been raised "simple" and they enjoy a treat from time to time. We do not eat real pizza, and I do not use fake cheese (soy) SO we make due with what we can, tortilla shells just happen to be a nice way to throw a bunch of stuff together and make everyone happy!
We bought out all of the bacon (3 pounds of nitrate free-non organic-the market did not have the organic nitrate free stuff, so I had to buy Hormel-which we LOVE but the package is too dang small at 12 oz instead of 1 pound).
I picked up 2 big packages of spinach/kale mix. I am not sure what I am going to do with 2 big things of spinach-but I am going to try like mad to fit more greens into our diets.
I also bought 2 bags of organic celery. The celery (organic) at Burnstad's is not ideal. It is the short stuff and it always bruised and dented and always has some that goes to waste. NOT to mention the fact that it is over $4 for a thing of it. Again, I had hoped the market in Hillsboro would've had their organic celery as it is half the price and twice the size! (try again in 2 weeks I guess)

I also got Torrin a container of puffs because he was trying to eat the (raw) bacon.
Here is the FUNNY part-I go to check out, and there are TWO checkers available...one of which being my not so favorite person. She did not great me, but simply took my bags and check us out. I said "thank you" but left it at that. I know she is upset I got ahold of her boss and manager, but she needs to learn to be nice.  I do not believe in being mean to people that work where I need to get things or go places, but it might do her a bit of good to realize she is the "hired help". Not to be degrading-I have had this position many times (checker at BP, housekeeping at Best Western, call center work) and you have to remember you work for the customer! Every customer deserves to be treated with respect until they are disrespectful to you, end of story.

Anyway, I got off on a bit of a tangent there. My Burnstad's total came to around $95? I would have to check to be sure, either way it was a LOT more than I had hoped to spend!
Bananas                  $30
Tortilla 4x  3.50     $14
Bacon                     $23
Celery                      $9
Spinach                  $14
Puffs                       $3
                TOTAL $93

HEY! I am pretty good at this remembering food amounts off the top of my head! I kid you not, there was no receipt used to remember what I bought or how much I spent! To top it off, I only forgot ONE item on my list (and one NOT on my list). I forgot E.V.O.O-I looked for it at the market, couldn't find it, I looked at it in the natural section at Burnstad's and it was way over priced, so I was going to go get it and forgot.

SHOOT! My math is off by a couple of dollars-I know I bought a $5 thing of green olives-so my guess is that I overpriced the tortilla's by a quarter each along with the puffs. Either way-I know I did darn good at remembering my totals and what I purchased!

NOW, for my menu!
Sunday(today) Chili in the crockpot with fast cook cornbread

Monday-rice, beef and veggies and soy sauce (we use soy sauce MAYBE twice a month) it is a twist on the Chinese dish my husband oh so misses! He may add egg to his rice, I will not. This is a meal Nathan is putting together as we have gymnastics and will not get home until almost 6:30. I am having him make extra rice for our meal Thursday.

Tuesday-Chicken with acorn squash and mashed potatoes(maybe sweet potato fries instead...)

Wednesday-this is our late night so I am starting a vegetable stew in the crock pot. (potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, green beans...that kind of thing)

Thursday-we have a potluck for homeschoolers in the park. I am going to take bean and rice burritos for my family (not sharing) with some chips and salsa (sharing) and for dessert I will either take banana bread or pound cake with strawberries. (not sure yet)

Friday Rice, lentils, beef, oil onions (I have this recipe in my recipe link-it is SO so good!!)

Saturday "pizza" this is just tortilla shells topped with tomatoes, garlic/oils/salt mixture, spinach, leftover chicken and whatever else we want

Sunday-chicken and dumpling soup (I use pancake mixture to make the dumplings

Now, looking at this list-I realize I forgot to incorporate my sweet potatoes that I bought. I bought these to make sweet fries. So, the menu may change on Thursday to sweet poatoe fries and BBQ chicken instead of squash and mashed potatoes. I also have spaghetti squash on the menu for the following week. I am really hoping we have enough to last 2 full weeks! I spent right around $200, and Nathan had bought my peanut butter the day before ($20?) so HOPEFULLY we can stay on budget!

After shopping, I came home and had all these plans of chopping, slicing, cleaning and prepping. It did not go as planned. I was able to chop celery and freeze it for my soups, while chopping the rest into nice sizes to keep in the fridge.  It looks nice and all prepped, but it was the only thing I accomplished! I had hoped to cut up all my onions for the week and freeze what I could. I still need to slice bananas for the dehydrator and freeze the rest! This one year old of mine likes to limit what I can accomplish! I started on the onions, so hopefully I can get those done today. I am really trying to cut my prep work in half so I am not washing dishes every night. I would love to cook everything I can on Sunday (breads, hamburger) and freeze all of my stuff that just gets tossed in (celery, peppers, onions) so it is easier to prepare for dinner. We are getting there!
                                       The "eating" celery that I prepped and put in the fridge
       The chopped celery (left) and in the jar and bag (center and right) is my fresh ground oat flour!

No comments:

Post a Comment