Friday, November 29, 2013

After turkey day

So, our Turkey day meal was GOOD. We had green bean casserole, it was AH-MAZE-ING!! I used a recipe from another blog-and tweaked it to fit our dietary needs.
Recipe was changed by using just normal white mushrooms-I used about 10-12 oz as I did not have a full lb of them. I also used regular onions. My flour substitute was oat flour (fresh ground), and I used almond milk vs cows milk. Lastly, I only had organic canned green beans so I used those instead of frozen. It was good, even Nathan enjoyed it!!
I made a strawberry pie-using my normal apple pie crust recipe. It was SOOO good! My pumpkin pie was not very good, I am going to have to buy some coconut ice cream for us to finish it, it is too spice intense the way it is.
We wrapped the turkey in bacon-not sure it made a difference in the way the bird tasted, but it was nice to add to the potatoes! We have a LOT of turkey leftover, and we do not use a microwave, so I am going to have to make some casseroles!! We cleaned the carcass and started a bone broth in the cooker right away, my house smells SOOO good right now!!
My dressing almost messed up the whole meal! I started it later than I should have, so it was not done when everything else was. Overall, it only added 30 minutes to our wait time which was not bad at all.  We bought 2 loaves of gf bread and just toasted it with EVOO and seasoning, chopped up and added celery, onion, and stock. Not the healthiest thing in the world, but we do not eat dressing all year long, only for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Our meal was simple and delicious! We wrote on a "tree" what we were thankful for. Our thankful tree included things from food (pie, turkey...) to family and a roof over our heads. It was sweet and simple, and the kids enjoyed doing it.
After we ate and cleaned up, I really just wanted to pass out! We took the kids to see the lights in the park, it was SO nice! Torrin was so excited, he kept jabbering away as we went by all of the lights. We do plan to go back again in a week or so when they get them all done.
Tomorrow, we have thanksgiving at my moms house. Hopefully it goes well. I know thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have and who you have in your life. I must say, there is nothing better than the simplicity of staying in and spending the day with family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment