Friday, November 29, 2013

Thinking about thanksgiving-forgot to post this when it was time!

So, Monday night I went to (sigh) walmart. I got some organic goodies so I do not need to go shopping again before thanksgiving. (I hope!)  I picked up the stuff to make gluten free dressing, and hopefully for me to be able to make green bean casserole this year! Last year gfdf kicked my butt on the casserole, the flavor was good, but it was a runny mess!

While at walmart, I got the courage to walk up and reintroduce myself to my younger cousin Leah. I think I surprised her, but she seemed sweet. I had butterflies in my stomach, but I did it! I am thankful for my courage to go up and say hi, and I hope it helps my family. I miss the family that chooses to not act like family, it makes me sad. I cannot go through life waiting on others though, I have to do  what works for our family and if we lose people along the way, then it wasn't meant to be.

Right now, I am trying to plan my thanksgiving feast! I have been on Pinterest trying to find recipes that work for us. I made some apple pumpkin muffins this morning, the flavor was perfect, but I tweaked the recipe a little too much and they were a bit mushy.

Pumpkin pie...need help! Do I do...

Last years filling- this filling was very good, but since I know it is good, I am thinking I might try something new...the crust was edible but not enjoyable. (Gotta love messing with gf recipes!) 
1 3/4c pumpkin, 
3/4c sugar,
2egg,
3/4almond milk
1/2tsp vanilla,
1/2 tsp slt,
 1/2 tsp cinnamon,
 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice

With New crust
Ingredients
1¼ cups rolled oats
½ cup pecan halves (2 ounces)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
5 Medjool dates (2½ ounces)
1½ tablespoons non-dairy milk

New pie ideas

Ingredients
This pie is to be made a day in advance so it can set well...

8 Medjool dates (4 ounces), pitted and chopped
¾ cup non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup rolled oats, ground into flour (or ¼ cup flour)
1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1 can (15 ounces) cooked pumpkin (not “pumpkin pie mix”), or 1½ cups

The second new pie to try is an apple butter pumpkin pie...

1 cup apple butter 
1 cup pumpkin
1 cup coconut milk, full fat
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp arrowroot powder
½ tsp cinnamon, if needed
pinch of sea salt
Sweetener, adjust to taste , maple syrup
3 eggs, whisked
Optional Garnish: coconut whipped cream (made with the fat of top of 1 can of coconut milk

I've decided I want to use the new crust recipe..but I cannot decide which pie sounds best

No comments:

Post a Comment