Friday, January 17, 2014

busy beeeee

I feel like I go in spurts of how busy I am. I decided yesterday, that I was going to make my laundry detergent, and also start making my own dishwashing detergent.

I found a couple recipes on Pinterest and had to tweak things to suit my family. I did not feel comfortable using fels naptha, as I did not really care for the ingredients. I decided instead, to use Kirts natural soap.

I grated and mixed in the Borax and super washing soda and made laundry detergent. It has been setting up setting up since last night and should be ready to use! There is always laundry to be washed, so I hope it gets our clothes clean!

This morning I decided to make my dishwasher detergent. To do so I needed some liquid Castile soap. I don't know about everyone else, but I cannot stomach the price of Dr. Bronner's liquid Castile soap. So last night, in preparation for today, I made the liquid castile soap. The liquid soap needed to set up overnight, so I will not know how well the dish washing detergent works until TOMORROW!
01/22/14
UPDATE: Laundry soap seems to be working fine! It does separate a bit, but I gently tilt it back and forth (trying not to make bubbles) before using it

I made the dish washing detergent, let it cool in the pan and bottled it up. My bottle wasn't large enough, so I left some in the pot until I found a mason jar (with a lid) and noticed it was gelling up already!! I am so excited! I filled an Ecos bottle (72 oz?) and a qt jar with dish washing detergent. All from 1 cup of Castile soap and some borax and washing soda. I used THIS recipe for the dishwasher detergent-after making my OWN liquid castile (omitting the Dr. Bronners)scroll down to dishwash detergent...
1/22/14
UPDATE:The dishwashing detergent is horrible! Even with adding vinegar to the rinse cycle, the dishes are filthy and have a horrible film. I think I need to try the recipes that use salt? Not sure what to do with all the detergent I made!

So, last night-my husband picked on my homemaker skills.

I have not been very good lately at keeping the house tidy, the kids cleaned...or making a decent meal!

I am not sure what is going on with me, but my focus has been off.

I made lentil soup-it was VERY good, he didn't like it!

I made chili, the beans were undercooked (though they cooked ALLLLL day and they had soaked overnight!)

Last night, I made his favorite-meatloaf...I dumped too much seasoning in and it was salty! Not to mention the potato salad...my garlic packed extra punch! We joked that we would be extra healthy, the meatloaf forced us to drink extra water and flush our systems, and there was enough garlic in my salad to kill any germs!

As bad as my skills have been, I take pride in what I do for my family! I may not always smell pretty (I gave up deodorant and smelly sprays SOOO long ago)

Heck, I may not look so pretty most days either! I gave up make-up  and daily showers over a year ago!

My family comes first! Saving as much of my hubby's hard earned money, so we can buy healthy organic food means so much to me! I am doing my part by making healthier (cheaper) household cleaners and food from scratch!

Right on with my "busy bee mood" I made some breakfast bread...I am not sure why I call it that, maybe because it isn't a sandwich bread-it has cinnamon in it...it turned out good!! yay!
 

It was supposed to be for a meeting we were having an hour away from home tomorrow-but that got canceled..so now it is just to fill our bellies!!
(IT IS GOOD!)
As I said before, I found this recipe and changed it-I gave credit to the blogger before me in the other post.

Here is MY version

Recipe:

3 1/3 cups oat flour (I just ground up a bunch in the kitchenaid-use organic and/or gf)
2 full tablespoons of yeast (the fridge kind)
1 1/2 cups warm water
----mix the yeast and warm water together and let set while you mix up the other stuff
6 tbsp. honey
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs

I mix everything up-toss in the water/yeast mixture and put in a 4 spot mini loaf pan (pampered chef stone pan). Let it sit on top of your counter/stove for 45 minutes or so, just so it can rise up and look fluffier.

I baked mine at 350° for 35 minutes and they were perfect

1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
Read more at http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/11/gluten-free-honey-oat-bread.html#JhOtCeOlbrIp2sRu.99
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
Read more at http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/11/gluten-free-honey-oat-bread.html#JhOtCeOlbrIp2sRu.99
3 1/3 cups oat flour (or 4 cups of gluten-free oats plus more for the top)
2 scant tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup corn starch (or tapioca flour)
1/2 cup rice flour (white or sweet white rice flour. Brown rice would probably work to but I haven't tried that yet)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs
Read more at http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/11/gluten-free-honey-oat-bread.html#JhOtCeOlbrIp2sRu.99
3 1/3 cups oat flour (or 4 cups of gluten-free oats plus more for the top)
2 scant tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup corn starch (or tapioca flour)
1/2 cup rice flour (white or sweet white rice flour. Brown rice would probably work to but I haven't tried that yet)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs
Read more at http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/11/gluten-free-honey-oat-bread.html#JhOtCeOlbrIp2sRu.99

No comments:

Post a Comment