Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Peanut Butter Cookies!!

I was on Pinterest this morning and saw a bunch of cookie recipes, they looked super good, but none of them looked simple and healthy! We love peanut butter in this house-LOVE!!

I know some people say it isn't the most healthy thing in the world, but it is something we enjoy.

I knew I wanted a gluten and dairy free cookie. I also have been trying to use less REAL sugar. The sugar we have in the cupboard is getting low-it is organic cane sugar...and I hope to not buy more! Anyone that has gone from white sugar to real cane sugar knows it can take some getting used to. Not all sugars are created equally.

I have toyed with a few 'natural' sweeteners and haven't had a whole lot of luck! I cannot afford to buy fancy sugars all the time, but we do always have real maple syrup on hand! I buy a gallon of maple syrup for $45 locally, it may not be the most economical, but we hope to collect our own syrup soon!

Anyway, back to the recipe.

1 cup of natural peanut butter ( I used smucker's organic creamy, it only has peanuts and salt in it, no added oil)
-2/3 cup real maple syrup
-1 tsp vanilla
-1tsp salt
-1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1-Stir your peanut butter! Get the oil on top all mixed in and smooth
2- put 1 cup of peanut butter in mixer bowl, turn on mixer (I put the kitchen aid on first speed)
3-add in the 2/3 cup or real maple syrup, blend until smooth and starts to stiffen up
4-add in salt and vanilla, mix for a good minute on speed 2, it will stiffen up a bit
5-add in egg and let mix another good minute or so

Put on cookie sheet by the spoonful bake about 13 minutes
(I am sure this could make 18+ cookies for some,but for the way I did it I got about 12-with some extra for me to clean out of the bowl....(my egg came from my hens, so I am comfortable licking the bowl clean!) there is enough batter left for at least 1-2 more cookies...but who wants to bake 1-2 cookies...

I checked my cookies at 6 minutes, and tried to do the fork bit on them, not a good idea. Left alone to bake a good 13 minutes total.
Let cool 2 minutes on pan(or 5 if you get side tracked and forget...)
 
Move to wire rack to cool completely, or eat warm!
 

I offered each of my kids one cookie, and there was a lot of "mmmmm, can I have more" being said!
The cookies are very soft, almost doughy. I love my cookies to be doughy (I mentioned eating the batter right...) if you want yours less doughy, just cook longer, but watch so they don't burn!
 
 (sorry, the cookie is the same color as my table... a little hard to see it!)

Note: Next time, I am going to bake for 15-18 minutes and see how they turn out a little more crunchy!

No comments:

Post a Comment