Thursday, February 20, 2014

Double Batch-Grain Free Granola...with mods

So, the grain free granola I made was a huge hit! My husband took it to work and it was gone so quickly, my kids have begged and begged for more! We are in the process of getting ready for tree tapping (for syrup) so I am trying not to buy much maple syrup at the store. I did decide to go buy some local raw honey so we could throw together a batch of granola though! I made a few changes to the recipe, and am making a double batch. Everyone likes granola in this house-we don't even miss the grain filled granola! This version is very good-I prefer the sweetness that comes from syrup to that of honey and think I could have used a bit less honey. Amazing how much my taste buds have changed with my cleaner diet-things do not need to be as sweet anymore!

 
I used these amounts: (raw/organic)

2 cup pecans
2 cup walnuts
2 cup almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkins seeds

 4Tbsp melted coconut oil
 1 1/2 cup Raw Local Honey (if I make with honey again-I will use 1/4 less-it was way sweeter than needed)
 3 Tbsp cinnamon
 1 tsp salt

 1 cup unsweetened coconut
 1 cup raisins or craisins

Soak over night with salt water, change out water after 4-6 hours. Rinse well and pat dry.

Put all nuts and half of the seeds in your processor/blender and PULSE until crumbly.

 Take crumbly ingredients and put in a big bowl or pan and add melted coconut oil, honey, cinnamon and salt. (I didn't add shredded coconut until after it had dried-it is a bit messy- I'd add it NOW if making again)


Dehydrate/dry as you choose. Mine is over dry heat on my fisher wood stove.


After dry (a good day) add coconut and dried fruit. I used craisins!

About 24 hours later-it is ready for Breakfast!!

Hopefully this big bowl lasts longer than my smaller batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment