Thursday, February 13, 2014

Grain Free Granola-OMG GOOD

So, we are embracing the Paleo lifestyle as much as possible! We needed some healthy snacks that were more filling and that added calories. I cannot have my family wasting away!

It was cold yesterday, snowy...and like all winter days, we had our wood stove going. I love this thing-it is a Fisher-I always forget to USE it for cooking!


Doesn't that look yummy? YOU SHOULD SMELL IT?!?!
 
My husband came home-and helped himself to it! Right off the stove, just grabbed some hot granola, before it was even cooled off and DONE.
 
Now, I am sure there are many ways to dehydrate granola.
 
I do not have a fancy expensive dehydrator. I have a cheapo nesco one that I do not love, especially
for small things. (works well for drying onions...)


I know many people do dehydrate things in their oven-the lowest setting on my oven is 170 which I know is not ideal, and I needed to use my oven for OTHER things.

I set two cookie racks down on the stove, then put my cookie sheet on top of it-I think it worked perfectly!

TO START:

Soak nuts and seeds (nuts in one bowl, seeds in another)

I used these amounts: (raw/organic)

1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkins seeds

2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
3/4 cup Real Maple Syrup
1.5 Tbsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins or craisins

Soak over night with salt water, change out water after 4-6 hours. Rinse well and pat dry.

Put all nuts and half of the seeds in your processor/blender and PULSE until crumbly.

Take crumbly ingredients and put in a bowl-add all other ingredients and stir well!

Place in even layer on lined cookie sheet(or dehydrator sheet) and dry how you wish. My method took a good chunk of the day. Mine was done over dry heat with an open environment-in an oven or dehydrator will take longer. ENJOY! This made 1 qt and 1 pint for me...with my husband stealing bits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment