Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Making Paleo Banana/Date Bars

This is the long version of my morning+ the recipe...if you want just the recipe-click HERE or scroll down!
So, I know today is going to be a busy day. Any time we leave the house for the day, the next day is more work than I would like! Today is no exception! I have a long to-do list...Yesterday, we were busy, we went all over town getting things done. The kids enjoyed the day out of the house, especially going to the library and picking out some new books.

The bad thing about yesterday was that it made it necessary to put Torrin in a diaper. This child hasn't worn a diaper during the day in about a week. This little boy is a nudest, he hates diapers and clothes (please let summer come fast...) He has been doing quite well, only missing the potty 2-3 times a day...Yesterday changed that!

We got home from our outing and Torrin only used the potty twice yesterday, instead he used the couch and the floor! This morning-he has peed on the floor...and on me...

I woke up cold, we only fired up the Fisher and not the wood furnace. It is a heat wave outside at 29 degrees at 8am! With that said, my home is a lot colder than we are accustomed. I decided smoothies would not be fun to drink, instead I decided to play with a paleo bar recipe. I also promised the kids I would make gummies (we ran out yesterday) as well as granola and power balls. (I am trying new recipes today!)The bars should have only taken me 30 minutes to get IN the oven and about another 30 to bake-I figured since Torrin had just peed on the floor and nursed, I was in the green zone. (this child loves to prove me wrong)

I have no ripe bananas-they are all frozen-so I started with those-popped 1 large frozen banana into the processor and got it "smoothish"
horrible picture-but it is smooth (it tastes good to eat it like this)
 
I measured out 3/4 cup of almond butter (and put into the mixer) with the smooth banana. I was getting some soaked almonds (1/2 cup soaked overnight-about 16 hours) to grind up in the processor next-when Torrin DEMANDED a boob!
 
Walked my butt to the chair and waited for him to sign "milk, please" which he did NOT want to do-but he finally did. While he was nursing, he peed on me...UP we got in a hurry-set his butt on the potty while I stripped down and grabbed a towel... He hopped off his potty, gave my bum a smack while I cleaned up HIS pee-and LAUGHED at me! This kid, I tell ya!
 
Change of clothes for me, washed hands...and back to the baking!
 
I chopped up the nuts and tossed them in the mixer with the other stuff
 
I was cracking eggs (only dropped one egg shell in the mix( and I dug it out)
When Zariah (who is rollerblading around my kitchen...I told her she could do this yesterday-today it is REALLY getting under my skin, but I smile and let her proceed, it is not harming anyone...not her fault my mood is sour!) squeals "MOMMA, Torrin pooped on the floor, EWW!"
 
I mumble under my breath, then tell the child calmly (I am so proud of myself) "Poop goes in the potty" while I fetch some TP and the Vinegar wash. (for the floor, not the child). Clean up some unchewed raisins and other distinguishable foods...quite disturbing when I am baking, wash up AGAIN after cleaning said child-and BACK TO BAKING.
 
Then, I manage to add in the rest of the ingredients! At this point, I am hoping these bars taste good-because they were a LOT of work!
 
They smell yummy...THEY ARE yummy! my kids wanted to eat the whole pan-I cut it half ways and told them we would save the rest for tomorrow and they could have a hardboiled egg if still hungry (which of course they are-they are bottomless pits!)
 
Here is the recipe...this makes a big glass baking pans worth (9x12?) you can half the recipe and use the square 8x8 I suppose, I wanted enough to tomorrows breakfast too!
 
-1 ripe banana (or frozen banana like I did)
-3/4 cup creamy almond butter
-1/2 cup soaked almonds
** if you don't have almonds or want to leave them out just use 1 cup of almond butter instead of 3/4 cup and skip the almonds
-4 eggs
-2 tsp vanilla
-8 SOFT pitted medjool dates
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nugmeg
 
Directions:
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees
-Grease pan with coconut oil
-If using a frozen banana-process it smooth, put in mixer bowl
***if using regular ripe banana, mash with fork and place in mixer bowl
-Add in almond butter and mix about 30 seconds to 1 min.
-Process pitted soft dates until clumped
-add(the rest of the ingredients) almonds, dates,eggs, salt, soda, and spices to mixer bowl
-mix on medium until everything is blended. I had to stop the blender, scrape sides and bottom of bowl (to loosen up the clump of almond butter and dates at the bottom)
-Bake about 35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean

 My nakey baby loves them! (we all do!) he kept signing MORE MORE and yelling at me for more!
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment