Monday, February 24, 2014

Paleo Menu Week 2

I am not going to post as many pictures or daily meals-only new stuff and dinner plans. I know some people do not consider salt, vinegar and quinoa paleo. I am doing what works well for my family! Quinoa is a seed-and should be eaten in moderation-like all nuts and seeds. I am feeding growing children who can out eat a grown man-I have no choice but to feed them nuts and seeds or I would go poor feeding them only organic fruits and veggies! We are big fans of cabbage and brussel sprouts-this menu is not in any way to tell you what to eat, but to share ideas for those that may be interested in trying out a paleo menu!

Monday Dinner- Cooked Cabbage with sausage and carrots
(Sorry no pix)
*** chop up a full head of cabbage, put about 1/4 cup of E.V.O.O in bottom of a pot (the bigger kind, not big soup size, but not a skillet)
**add cabbage to pan
**Shred 6 organic carrots (remove end, but do not peel-lots of nutrients in that carrot!)
****add to pot
**cover and cook down while cooking sausage

take a pound of ground country sausage and cook until done and crumbled
**add to cooked cabbage/carrots

ENJOY!!

Tuesday Dinner-
bacon wrapped sweet potato fries  with maple sprouts and egg/avocado salad (left out bacon, added more tomatoe and some onion!)
We loved this so much last week-we had to have it again!

Wednesday Breakfast- Paleo date and banana bread/bars
Wednesday Dinner-   Cabbage tomato sausage soup
                              Cut up a head of cabbage, put in 5.5 qt pan, cover with tomato juice (I used 3 qts) and vegetable broth if you have it (I used 16 oz) any combo should be fine. Add chopped or sliced carrots (I did a mix of shredded and cut-about 6-8 carrots). 1 onion, 4-6 garlic cloves minced/pressed and at the end of the cook time-1 # of browned country sausage. I brought soup to a boil then reduced to low for 3 hours-cabbage and carrots were soft and cooked through. Add sausage about 1/2 before serving.


Thursday Breakfast-leftover paleo banana/date bread and granola

Thursday dinner- taco squash

I saw a recipe similar to this, and honestly thought it sounded disgusting! We are getting low on groceries, so I decided to give it a shot! I have a few acorn squash in cold storage from this past fall and I hate to see them all go bad! Normally, squash served in this house ALWAYS has maple syrup on it! This was a change for sure!
 I had to make quite a bit to feed 5 people, but I will tell you what I did and you can adjust accordingly. I would estimate 1 whole squash per person (even my 6&7 year old ate a whole one!)
 
-I fixed 6 acorn squash-baked in oven with olive oil and salt/pepper for 30 minutes.(cut in half and remove seeds obviously!)
-Prepare 1 cup of quinoa (with 2 cups of broth) and set aside.
-Brown some ground meat with onion-make what you need. I used about 2#s of venison. Add taco seasoning (1/4 cup for us) and about 1 cup of cut up tomatoes (canned or fresh)
 
I continued to bake for about 30 minutes -or until tender. Serve with your favorite toppings. I used a can of fire roasted tomatoes and garlic salt.
 
Friday Dinner- Veggies and meat
Kinda looks like barf...I hate veggies and this was GOOD
 
**to make:
- sautée 1# of broccoli with 6 big carrots and an onion with 2 tbsp. of ghee-move to a bigger pot and cooked until soft in about 2 cups of vegetable broth
-I browned 1.5# of ground venison (cubed would have been nice!) with an onion
combine all together and mix-serve!! Salt and pepper to taste!!
 
Nathan was working late this night-and there were NO leftovers for him! The kids inhaled this!!
 
Saturday Night Dinner-I was in town all day, got home and stuck 2 #s of venison in the sink and had NO clue what I was making. I ended up making naked burgers with cooked cabbage, applesauce and guac. Same recipe as always-make a little different seasoning. The joy of cooking is that you can change it up as needed. I mashed up 4 small avocados with a can of diced tomatoes for our topping.
 
Sunday Night Dinner - Baked Chicken, SWEEET potatoes and mixed veggies
We are down to the last few of our chickens we butchered last fall. I decided to fix one (skinned) with ghee rubbed on it, 4 garlic cloves pressed, turmeric and pepper. I cut up 3 small sweet potatoes and added 5 pitted dates (cut up), sprinkled with cinnamon and baked in the oven covered. Also a pound of broccoli with about 8 carrots cup up-cooked in Vegetable broth. It was a very good dinner!

After dinner snack: I made a new creation!! It called for lots of coconut and some chocolate! I will get the recipe up shortly!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment