Monday, March 17, 2014

a real gift...time

I have not been doing a very good job of keeping up with posting my recipes or just the general upkeep of this blog. It has been very cold here in Wisconsin, and today I find myself sitting on the couch curled up with a sweater and a blanket. I told my kids that they should either curl up by the fire and read all day, or we could watch an educational movie that they picked out at the library, or they could crafter build at their leisure. One child decided to set herself up out in the mud room, which is quite cold, so she can build with Legos. The other is curled up next to the wood stove reading!

We got a teaser of spring weather, where we collected about 20 gallons of sap, and then it got super cold again! My floor was painted with muddy foot prints, and I was truly happy to see it!

Mud...lovely mud, how I have miss you!

Now, if only it would get warm enough for the kids to play outside!

I need to take a moment to say how truly thankful I am for my neighbors! Not only do we share a driveway, that they keep cleaned of snow, but we share our woodsplitter, and their 4 wheeler (which is trying at times...we need our own 4 wheeler badly...)  but they also look out for us! Our neighbor knows everyone it seems, when we needed wood, he had a hookup for us, when someone he knows has AG tags, and doesn't need the meat, he got us 2 deer! I was down to the last packs of venison, and last night I was able to grind up more than 30#s of fresh venison for the freezer! The girls we're so excited to have steak and eggs for breakfast! Tonight, after Nathan collects sap, he is going to cut up the smaller of the deer and I will grind up that one too!

Gifting:
So, I mentioned last week that I had been working on a gift for our nephew. Now, this gift was not "Eco friendly" or "healthy" or anything like that...it was a lot of work to put together, and I hope it was or will be enjoyed! It was a box of experiments!

Also, my husband thinks I went a tad overboard. I am not always given the option to be the aunt I know I can be...and I really just wanted to gift a fun gift to a kid who still knows how to be a kid! kids nowadays are so consumed with tv and video games...it is nice to think they could use their imaginations and PLAY!

Please NOTE: this original idea was NOT mine, but I did have HOURS into this project. I looked at the original idea and had a lot of things to change (and retype).





































No comments:

Post a Comment