Saturday, January 30, 2016

Real Food on a budget

My goal is to feed my kids real food on a budget, this is not always an easy task!

I made a trip to Aldi yesterday and filled the back of my van up with (mostly) whole foods for under $130! Today, I made a yummy fruit salad and portioned it out so they have healthful snacks for the week!

I cut up 14 kiwi, 3lb of tangelos, 3 lbs of apples, and one pineapple. I sprinkled the fruit with chia seeds and hemp too! My kids have easy to grab fruit cups now and it is something I can feel great about!


I am also having the kids keep track of what they are eating as a "school" project so we can make sure they are getting a great balance of healthy and yummy food!


~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~

I didn't do the best job of keeping track of what I wanted for this posting, so I am going to post some yummy meals we enjoyed :)

I used frozen bananas to make an "ice cream" or nice cream

 Frozen bananas
 Chocolate chips with a little coconut oil-melt them 


 Frozen bananas blended with a little bit of plant based milk


 Top "banana nice cream" with hemp hearts, and chocolate chips


 Blend some frozen banana with frozen strawberries and some plant based milk, layer over other stuff


 Pour melted chocolate on top and put in freezer for 10 mins to harder


 
 ENJOY!!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We also enjoyed the best Vegan/ GF pizza we have had in quite some time! I used this recipe from One Green Planet.

I do not take credit for this recipe*

"Cheese"
  • 1/4 C. raw cashews (soaked in water for several hours and then drained IF you don’t have a high powered blender)
  • 1 C. hot water
  • 2  T. + 1 t. tapioca starch
  • 1 T. extra virgin olive oil (optional)
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced
  • 3/4  t. sea salt
  • 1 t. fresh lemon juice
Blend it all and then cook it while stirring until it looks like cheese.


I used the recipe on that page, sort of...I used my flour blend so it was as follows

  • 3 cups GF flour blend
  • 2 1/4 t. active dry yeast (1 packet)
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 t. sea salt
  • 1 t. agave
  • 1 T. extra virgin olive oil (optional)
This was by far the best pizza we have had! The crust was perfect too!

Hop on over to that blog if you want the details, but it is pretty easy if you have ever cooked before.

Our pizza had all sorts of awesomeness on it!

  • Orange Bell Peppers
  • onion
  • black olives
  • "cheese"
  • spinach
  • mushrooms
  • Sauce (I cheated and used jar pasta sauce)



No comments:

Post a Comment